Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Spaghetti Squash




















I'm trying to incorporate more healthy choices for my family.
By doing so, I'm also trying to learn what is in season and
what's not. When I go to the grocery store, I see these
amazing, yet intimidating squashes this time of year.
This week, I chose a spaghetti squash because I have
had it a couple of times before. It was the most familiar
to me. This squash tastes really good even cooked
plain but can be flavorful with spaghetti sauce. It has
a very mild taste, almost bland so I think it can
be used in a variety of dishes.
It's fairly easy to make and according to Wikipedia,
contains rich nutrients such as:
Folic Acid
Potassium
Vitamin A
Beta Carotene

And it's low in calories!

After cooking it, I think my family really liked
it and I will be cooking it with my squash patties
tomorrow...so stay tuned!

Ingredients to serve Spaghetti Squash:
Spaghetti Squash
salt & pepper
1 TBS extra virgin olive oil


First, I cut it in half. Okay, this was difficult, I really need
a sharper knife....
Then I cleaned out the seeds, just like cleaning out a
pumpkin! Now I'm really beginning
to feel the excitement for the Autumn season !

I drizzled olive oil, salt and pepper on the inside...
cut off the stem...
Then I placed the halves face down on a cookie sheet.
I put a little bit of water on the cookie sheet; just
enough to cover the surface....
I cooked it at 350 degrees for approximately
1 hour 10 minutes....



Now for the fun part!
After it was done baking, I scraped the inside of the halves
with a fork. This makes it look like spaghetti!
And that's it, just serve on the side of the main dish.

This is something that has to be eased into my family. If I cook
something way out of the ordinary like this and serve it as the
main dish, my family won't be so welcoming to the change. So
I served it as a simple side dish and will have it a few more
times like that until I can make the big transition to serve
it with spaghetti sauce! Stay tuned for my squash patties
that I will make with it tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment