Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back to basics.....Oatmeal


There is nothing like starting the day with something warm, tasty, and healthy. No, I'm not talking about Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes or Toaster Strudels, all of which would never be found in my pantry. I'm talking about oatmeal...ok I know what you are thinking...boring! But wait, oatmeal can be delicious and it is so much better than filling yourself and your kids with those yucky, no good sugar packed breakfasts. My two year old loves oatmeal but my trick is that I get him involved. He gets to add the cinnamon and his raisins to his oatmeal which is totally cool to him. I find that involving him, makes him excited about eating healthy.

Ingredients:

Quaker Oats Old Fashioned Oatmeal
Approximately 1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
raisins
water


Start with about 1 cup of oatmeal and water. Add more or less water
depending on the consistency you want your oatmeal to be. I usually
add just enough to cover the top of the oatmeal.
Cook over low to medium heat until water is absorbed.


Stir in some delicious honey which is high in antioxidants.


Put in a bowl or plate. This is where I let my 2 year old add his toppings.
He says...."yum, where are my raisins?"


This is a routine for us, so my 2 year old is excited to eat oatmeal
and he is so precise about where his raisins go. Imagine that!


Serve warm and enjoy! If you are in a hurry, add some cold
Motts Natural Applesauce to cool it down so you don't have
to wait for it to cool.


I keep this in my fridge. It's ingredients are: apples, water, and absorbic acid.
Make sure you get the "Natural" kind in a jar, all the other ones
have High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Ok, so breakfast is done and my family just had a nice, healthy
and interactive breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment