Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mommy Logic on Not Using High Fructose Corn Syrup

High Fructose Corn Syrup is doing a blast campaign trying to defend their sugar.They claim that it is a healthy sugar simply made from corn. Three years ago, when I first started this journey to wholesome living, the first thing I did was eliminate High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) from my diet. I'm not a scientist or a nutritionist, but my logic to not using it is simple mom logic:
 HFCS is in almost every processed food on the isles of grocery stores. It not only sweetens food but preserves it for a really long time. Is food meant to be preserved like this? Spending time in Europe showed me that they eat bread that has no preservatives, it goes bad in a day or two. So our bread, that stays on the shelves for weeks is healthier? 100 years ago when people were living more naturally, were they using sugar or HFCS? Is HFCS made in a laboratory or grown fresh on a farm? These are some questions that as a mom, I have to ask but finding the truth is difficult when there are two sides to the story. However,  personally, I still believe that HFCS is not a natural and healthy way to sweeten/preserve our food. I have struggled with weight as do many people in our country and since HFCS is in almost everything we eat, it is my prime suspect to the contribution of many unhealthy issues. 
So in my family, we eat real cane sugar and honey. And yes, having lots of sugar is bad so I deal with the struggles of having myself and my family consume it moderately...I don't think there is anything wrong with that. My kitchen pantry is completely HFCS free and I'm perfectly happy with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment