Saturday, September 18, 2010

Vegetable of the Week: Asparagus



Each week when I go to the grocery store,
I have decided to step out of my comfort zone and buy
a vegetable that I'm unfamiliar with. This week I chose
Asparagus. I've only had it once and I liked it so I hope
to start incorporating it more into our everyday meals.I'm
actually surprised that I found it because it is a spring
vegetable.

According to Wikipedia, Asparagus is:
  • low calorie
  • extremely high in folate (promotes healthy heart)
  • high in potassium
  • high in Vitamin C
  • has lots of antioxidants
  • and is "cleansing and healing"
I'm surprised how good this green vegetable tastes....
So far I have included it in pizza and just as a side dish with walnuts ( check out my 2 prior posts)....

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE asparagus! I am trying to get my family to eat more of it - will you be sharing your pizza with asparagus recipe?

    ReplyDelete