Friday, October 22, 2010

Vegetable of the Week: Collard Greens





Collard Greens are an amazing nutrient filled vegetable that are
high in vitamin C and soluble fiber. I love serving this as a side
dish, however I have only cooked them twice. I am now trying
to incorporate them into our weekly meals as much as possible
because they are so healthy. I really did not know how to cook
them so I just cooked them the way I cook spinach.
They came out really good and it was easy:



















First, start with one bunch of greens.
 I wash them really good. Then cut them up. Leave out stem part,
just focus on the leaves. Add them to a large pot on medium to
low heat. Add just enough water to cover the bottom of the
pot so the leaves don't scorch. For one bunch, I add a little less
 than 1/4 tsp and and 1 slice turkey bacon along with half of
an onion, some pepper, and 1 clove of garlic.
Cook covered for about 30 minutes with minimal water
so they are steaming and not boiling. I served this with baked
chicken and plain rice.


Mmm...they came out great!

Okay, some things I learned along the way:
-Add the salt right away so it can cook into
the greens so the greens won't taste salty.
- Turkey bacon, is a low fat, high sodium
flavor so not much is needed.
- They need some time to cook at least
30 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment