Sunday, May 22, 2011

Summer Is Near!

Hi everyone,
I haven't blogged in so long. I am still on my journey, life and
motherhood just gets busy sometimes. Well since I have had
such an awesome response from you all for my recipes, I will
continue to blog. I am still learning how to cook healthy and
wholesome and I'm having a blast doing it! This spring we have
 planted a small garden with 2 raised beds. Some things I have
learned along the way:

- My local county extension office has a service where
 they can test my dirt.
- The extension office has an almost infinite amount of
gardening resources and I was able to talk to a master
gardener.
- Finding organic soil can be challenging and it's good
to ask lots of questions.
- In my personal opinion- Say NO to Miracle GRO;
I think they put a lot of synthetic material in their
soil so the produce comes out unnaturally large and
abundant.
-ORGANIC is the way to go!
-I noticed a lot of Garden Soil in the bags at the
 store have warning signs
such as "Keep Out of Reach of Children" and
"Wear protective gloves"- Uh...Why?????



















I went to a local nursery and told them I wanted an
Organic Garden. They had some farm-grade mushroom soil,
farm-grade topsoil, and compost that was suitable for my
raised beds.




















I planted a little of everything in each: Beans, Greens, Carrots,
Onions, Tomatoes,Peppers, Celery, Cucumber, and
some herbs such as Dill and Rosemary.

Growing a garden with my kids is one of the
most joyful experiences.They get so excited to watch
the sprouts grow and become something
healthy. I love that they are so committed to go
out everyday and water the garden as well as see
what else may have popped up the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment